In The Curmudgeon’s eyes, the six most shameful episodes in American history are, in chronological order:
- The enslavement of Black Africans
- The treatment of Native Americans
- Passage of the Alien and Sedition Acts
- The post-Civil War treatment of African-Americans
- The internment of Japanese-Americans in prison camps during World War II
- The McCarthyism of the 1950s
At the risk of seeming like a sore loser – which in this case he absolutely, positively is – The Curmudgeon believes that when history looks back on the political developments of the past year it will view the election of Donald Trump to be number seven. Our descendants will learn about this shameful episode in our history and wonder what in the world we were thinking and how it was possible that such a fundamentally defective demagogue, a dangerous authoritarian with an astonishingly misguided understanding of how America’s brand of democracy is supposed to work, was given a four-year opportunity to hijack that democracy and possibly destroy what so many millions did so much to build over so many years.