Now that The Curmudgeon is living in a home where all of the available television programs don’t originate with networks that trace their roots to the Truman administration, he is being exposed to a whole new world of television programs. Many seem to revolve around a few common themes. Some he and Mrs. Curmudgeon watch together; some they sample together and decide not to watch; some they sample together and Mrs. Curmudgeon ends up watching alone; some they sample together and The Curmudgeon ends up watching alone; and some, the previews and descriptions are about as enticing as garlic and a cross are to a vampire.
Now, as a public service, The Curmudgeon would like to offer mini-reviews of a few of these series.
- Succession (HBO) – rich family that owns a business together behaving badly.
- Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) – sleazy stoner with greasy hair behaving badly.
- Big Little Lies (HBO) – women with too much time on their hands behaving badly.
- Curb Your Enthusiasm (HBO) – old Jewish guy who makes The Curmudgeon seem like an absolute delight behaving badly.
- Divorce(HBO) – Sarah Jessica Parker, whom The Curmudgeon inexplicably keeps referring to as Sarah Jesse Raphael, behaving badly.
- John Adams (HBO) – Paul Giamatti acting badly. Seriously, can you think of any reasonably successful actor or actress who isn’t getting by on their looks alone who is as profoundly bad an actor as Paul Giamatti?
- Silicon Valley (HBO) – young, seemingly intelligent people behaving badly.
- SMILF( Showtime) – single woman with child behaving badly.
- Billions (Showtime) – rich people and government officials behaving badly.
- Ozark (Netflix) – nice guy Jason Bateman behaving badly.
- Bloodlines (Netflix) – Ewing family wannabes behaving badly.
The Curmudgeon trusts you see the common thread.
Is your favorite – or least favorite – missing from this list? Probably because it came to The Curmudgeon’s attention and he decided “Hell, no,” but theme-conforming additions are welcome: The Curmudgeon can’t possibly be aware of ALL of the crap that comes our way.